Based on the Food and Nutrition Research Institute which is a bureau of the Department of Science and Technology, Moringa or “Malunggay” offers wonders that no other vegetables or fruits can provide. In fact, malunggay alone can provide all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients that almost all other fruits and vegetables carry. Fantastic right? Let us dig in deeper and be amazed at what Moringa has in stored for us.
1. Malunggay is an excellent source of minerals such as calcium and iron and vitamins A, B, C, E.
2. Malunggay is a very good source of a protein having higher than the amino acid pattern according to Food and Agriculture Organization-reference protein but is very low fat and carbohydrates.
3. Malunggay leaves are superior as a fount of the sulphur-containing amino acids cysteine and methionine; usually, the natural minerals that humans lack.
4. Malunggay is a great source of antioxidants which is effective in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Moringa helps prevent the incipience of several chronic diseases like cancer, arthritis, heart disease and kidney diseases.
6. Malunggay carries the phytochemical called Azim nin, which is determined to have molecular elements that can hinder the growth of cancer cells and associated with the inhibitory capacity over superoxide generation.
7. Malunggay is also known to be a miracle vegetable since it is not just a super food; it is also an effective medicine.
8. Malunggay helps to have a good eyesight and digestion which facilitates bowel movement and is also a cure for stomach ache.
9. Malunggay is also known to be a mother’s best friend for it has high calcium content which is excellent for lactating mothers. Hence, mothers are advised to eat malunggay as much as possible to produce more milk for their infants.
Surely, you have already been amazed on the listed benefits above, and yes, they’re a lot, but there’s a lot more. As what we have mentioned, “Malunggay alone can provide all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients that almost all other fruits and vegetables carry.” In fact, Moringa has:
ü Thirteen times the Vitamin A of spinach
ü Seven times Vitamin C than of an orange
ü Sixty-three times the potassium of milk
ü Three times the potassium of banana
ü Fifty times Vitamin B2 than of sardines
ü Four times the Vitamin than of pork
ü Thirty times R-Amino Acid than of Brown Rice
Given those benefits, don’t you think it’s time for us to start planting Malunggay in our backyard? We think so too!