Over the years, many beauty products have been known to women. With that, thousands of different ingredients have also been added, and many of them are industrial chemicals. These are the same chemicals used as plasticizers, degreasers for cars, and surfactants for paints. These are surely strong and delicate for the skin. But how would you feel if you discover that you might be unconsciously using those types of products for your skin? To help you watch out, here are ten top ingredients that you should avoid when choosing cosmetic products.
1. Butylated Hydroxyanisole and Butylated Hydroxytoluene: Mostly found in lipsticks, these are known carcinogens and could cause liver, thyroid, and kidney problems.
2. Coal Tar Dyes: This usually appears as “CI” followed by a number or as “P-phenylenediamine” on the most ingredients list. These are found in hair dyes and are used in lipsticks, recognized as a human carcinogen and might cause brain damage after a long term of use.
3. Diethanolamine: This helps in making creamy products and is abundant in facial cleansers, moisturizers, and soaps. This can cause skin and eye irritation for short term use and thyroid and liver cancer for long term use.
4. Dibutyl Phthalate: This is a plasticizer mainly used to prevent brittleness in nail polish. Consistent use of products containing this leads to hormonal disruptions and developmental defects upon pregnancy.
5. Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives: These preservatives functions by extending the shelf life of cosmetic products and is a human carcinogen.
6. Parabens: This is a type of preservative widely used in most of the skin care and beauty products and is linked to breast cancer, skin aging, and DNA damage.
7. Fragrance: Though they may be useful to enhance the smell of products, some added fragrance links to asthma, allergies and even cancer.
8. Peg Compounds: Widely used in cream based products, these are thickeners and moisture carriers and can easily be contaminated with other substances also used for manufacturing. These ingredients were proven to show skin irritation.
9. Petrolatum: This is a type of petroleum jelly used to add a shining effect on lipstick and lip balm products and are often contaminated with PAHs which is a known carcinogen.
10. Siloxanes: Ingredients ending in “-siloxane” are this type of ingredient and are often used in hair products and deodorants. Many of these were found to affect fertility and cause hormonal disruptions.